[Sca-cooks] Pennsic on a shoestring

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Sat Jun 3 11:19:40 PDT 2006

At 10:05 AM 6/3/2006,Sharon Gordon said something like:
>What things would be good to make?  So far I've thought of
>Cold sage chicken made at home and frozen
>   (I don't have the recipe for that  to pass along though.)
>Bread and fruit
>Omlettes with onions and herbs
>Raisin bread
>
>What else would be good?
>
>Sharon
>gordonse at one.net

If they can transport them, eggs are a good source of protein.  There's
also dried meats that can be stewed/rehydrated, (jerky of various sources),
then even dried vegetables/fruits that can be rehydrated too.   It could be
stewed up with rice, etc for a really nice curry dish, or ... any number of
other items.

The Finnish travel bread, kalakukko, is reputed to last for two weeks.
Here's a recipe.  When I've served this at feasts, people have been known
to argue that there was no fish in it at all.
here's a recipe for it:
Finnish Fish in Bread
                                   (Kalakukko)

          The literal translation of Kalakukko is fish-cock. It is a
        speciality of the provinces of Karelia and Savo, in the eastern
        part of Finland. It was traditionally baked in hot ashes or on
        grids above a hearth fire. This recipe is corrected for oven
        use. The finished pastry is hard on the outside, like the
        American beaten biscuit, tender within.

        Dough:

        2 cup sifted all-purpose flour   1/2 cup water
        2 cup sifted rye flour           1/2 cup milk
        1 tsp. salt                      4 Tbsps. cold butter
        1 tsp. sugar                     flour to roll out dough

        Filling:

        1 3/4 to 2 lbs fresh or frozen   1/2 lb. fresh ground pork
          fish fillet (pref. salmon)     1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
        1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic          1/4 tsp. ground allspice
        1/4 tsp. chopped chives

          Sift the dry ingredients together twice. Stir the mixed milk
        and water in and beat in the butter. Beat thoroughly. Then
        knead the dough till it is tough and elastic. Roll it out to
        1/2-inch thickness and oval in shpe. On half of it sprinkle a
        very little flour.

          For the filling, cut the fillets in small pieces.  Then lay a
        layer of fish on one half of the dough, season with half the
        garlic and chives, lay the ground pork out atop this, season
        with the pepper and allspice, cover with the rest of the fish
        and season that with remaining garlic and chives.  Fold the
        other half of the pastry over the filling, brush the edges of
        pastry with water and press firmly together.

          Bake is a low oven (250 F.) 3 hrs. Brush the top with a little
        butter or fat occasionally. When done, remove from the oven,
        wrap the hot roll in a clean cloth to soften the crust. To
        serve, cut in slices as you would a loaf of bread.  Butter each
        well. Serve warm.

        4 to 6 servings

Cheers,
Maggie