[Sca-cooks] Pennsic on a shoestring

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 13:10:43 PDT 2006

grizly wrote:

>Dry ice is your friend for coolers designed for long term storage and not
>daily/hourly in and out.  Set a good cooler up with frozen foods and dry
>ice, and you can keep food frozen then cold for a week on one load, easy.
>Gotta keep it closed as much as possible, keep it full as possible as long
>as possible, and keep the dry ice dry.  Padded gloves and your off.  Use a
>different cooler for in and out access through the day.
>
>Dry ice is pretty affordable around here last time I bought it (yikes, 2+
>years ago).  By the pound, you can get good deal if you can find it near
>you.  Saves on buying ice every day.  And will reduce overall expence of
>cooler use.
>
>niccolo

And...whatever kind of ice you use, keep the cooler in a shady spot in
your camp...and keep a nice, thick white or very light colored bath
towel on top.  Someone told me this secret several years ago...I didn't
believe them, but tried it anyway...and it worked!  ice seemed to last
much longer.

We also use frozen bottles of water to help keep food cold on the way
up...when it thaws, you have nice, fresh water that's drinkable!  Try to
find bottles that are square in shape rather than round...they take up
less room in the cooler.

Kiri