[Sca-cooks] plums

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 4 13:19:21 PDT 2006

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>I've heard of plum wine before, but it has always been mentioned in
>connection to Japan.
>
>Do we have evidence of plum wine being made in medieval Europe?
>Perhaps it just that a lot more grapes were grown than plums, so
>grape wine was more prevalent? Does/did Japan grow grapes? If not,
>perhaps that would also be a reason that plum wines are more
>associated with Japan.
>
>Stefan

According to Ishige Naomichi in /The History and Culture of Japanese
Food, /grapes did not grow well in Japan, therefore, in period (as best
I could figure) rice was used almost exclusively to make alcoholic
beverages.  There was also mention of wines made from plums, in period.
But they did not use grapes

Kiri