[Sca-cooks] plums

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 4 13:54:47 PDT 2006

Italian plums (or Naples plums) are a sweet varietal of Prunus domesticus
(sometimes appearing as P. cocomilia).  The grow regionally in SE Europe,
Italy, the Balkans, Greece and into Turkey.  There is also the consideration
that the "Italian plums" may be even more generic being any plum from Italy.

"...and the blond plums of autumn..." is a phrase that appears in the
elegaic poem "Copa" from the Appendix Vergiliana (1st Century BCE).  So they
may be of European origin, even if they are being used in Japan.  We don't
know when they arrived.

Japan has a number of long cultivated, if not indigenous, plum species and
varietals.

I haven't seen any references to plum wine in medieval Europe, but the
national drink of Serbia is slivovitz and I'm willing to bet they were
drinking plum wine before they made plum brandy.

Bear