[Sca-cooks] sops

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 22:52:22 PDT 2006

Adamantius said:

<<< On Jun 3, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Tom Vincent wrote:
 > They were called 'sops' for a reason, you know.

Yes. Sops, even through the Renaissance, were toasts of bread or
similar soggy crusty items, served in a dish, sopping with some
liquid. For the most part, it was not the diner's job to decide which
crudite he would dunk in the liquid. See sops chamberleyn, soppes
d'oree, etc. >>>

I have a little bit of info on sops in this Florilegium file:
sops-msg          (14K)  5/ 1/06    Slices of bread soaked in a sauce.

But not a whole lot of info. Where can these two, sops chamberleyn,
soppes
d'oree be found? Anyone have the recipes for these or other sops handy?

Do they specify what kind of bread to be used? the few times I've had
these in the SCA, I would consider the bread used to be a fine machet
in quality. Would they have used something like this or would they
have used a lower quality bread, such as that used for trenchers, for
sops? After all, the sauce will soften up the bread and you don't
want the bread disintegrating in the soup/sops.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas