[Sca-cooks] remove vs course

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Jun 5 13:13:22 PDT 2006

At 12:42 PM 6/5/2006, you wrote:
>and Mistress Mairi ,
>See if the other lady would of posted it like you responded, then It would
>not of appeared the way it toward me.
>
>Thanks you for the link to the article and I will read it however, I will
>not accept any further posts from the aforementioned person.

Ok, I'm probably sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but I really
need to say something...

I don't know how long you've been on this list, though you did remark that
your post with the menu was the first. But it is clear already that what
this list is and what you expected are two very different things. You can
get some very good references and information from the people who post here
(You can also get some outright silliness, but it is generally pretty easy
to differentiate between the two). I t is a great place to learn a lot
about many things. But it is not really the place to post a 'here's what I
did/here's what I'm planning' list without expecting a serious critique.

I went back and read over Huette's response, and frankly, I saw nothing to
be offended at. I personally felt that your response to her post was an
over-reaction. And blocking further posts from her is unwarranted at best.
Not to mention that you will be cutting yourself off from a source of
knowledge. A pity, really. I know that I've learned quite a bit from things
that she has passed on. I've been in the SCA for 17 years now, and if
there's one thing I've learned, it's not to think I can't learn something new.

And by the way, Huette was correct about the usages of 'course' and
'remove'. I've done a fair amount of work on various serving texts, and I
don't believe that I have ever seen 'remove' used in that context. The SCA
has come up with a number of terms for things that are not the period model
('dragon' for motor vehicle and 'smalls' for children being good examples),
and like scaffolding, need not be used after the wall is built. We now have
many, many more resources and much more research available to us. It would
be a pity if we clung to what we started with years ago and failed to
incorporate the new research (much of which was done by SCAdians). If we
aren't learning something, then this is just a _very_ expensive costume party.

'Lainie