[Sca-cooks] remove vs course

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 5 10:53:04 PDT 2006

Fear not, good Lisabetta.  Your efforts are appreciated in whatever manner,
and from my experience here, I predict that humble Huette was not intending
any rebuff at all.  This is a topic near and dear to Huette's heart and
often elecits a short, and sometimes empassioned plea.  There has been, over
the course of the near decade I have participated on this list, an effort to
modify the commonly held language used in describing and discussing the
meals (primarily feasts) in our hobby.  Some efforts have met with huge
success . . . feast-o-crat extermination . . . being one of them.  some
areas and groups still cling to that word made up exclusively for our hobby,
but many have sought out new and more descriptive actual words to label
their office and efforts.

"Remove" is one that has been more resistant to our efforts at change.  We
all have had very similar experiences that the word is ubiquitous and even
universal in the SCA hobby culture.  Some research and essays have suggested
that the word is incorreclty used, and actually descriptive of a concept not
at all high medieval, and probably out of the scope of our hobby time
period.  A "course" of dishes is the more likely used term in most times and
places according to the most recent reliable essays on the subject.  So, us
fire and food geeks are setting about, once again, to change the lexicon of
this little subgroup of the world's population we call the SCA.

As Anne-Marie spake, I concur that the one sweating and setting fire to
flesh gets to call it whatever they want.  My grand meals were set out in
courses, perosonally, in my little piece of Meridies back 5 years ago or so.
those who learned and listened to my rantings followed that tradition.  so,
a small pocket of scholarly cooks in Northern GA were prophets for the
"course" adoption.  No telling who else along the Gulf Coast took up that
mantle . . . not too many as the word "remove" still has many ardent
followers still :o)

niccolo difrancesco
(I say follow the gourd since the sandal is less important and followed by
plitters)
(Go for LeMenagier . . . I have some recipes adapted from that source at
http://franiccolo.home.mindspring.com/recipes_main.htm , though most are
English and Italian)