[Sca-cooks] Jumbo Shrimp in Caramel Pepper-Garlic Sauce

tom.vincent at yahoo.com tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 08:10:24 PDT 2006

I didn't see the Chef de Cuisine's original, but as Brangwayna said, he's very good about providing period documentation for all his dishes.

I ended up doubling up the marinade recipe for the hearts (after getting his approval, of course), as the original liquid was insufficient.

I don't really consider 2 out of 6 at a table, and adventurous at that, to be any sign of success for a dish.  Most of the bowls of hearts came back full, from what I recall.  I didn't see them again, so I don't know if they ended up in the trash or if some folks took them home.

Nice to have a mix of dishes, of course, but there was a lot of food that went to waste...a whole huge tray of beautiful asparagus, for example.

You just never know what's going to be devoured and what's going to come back to the kitchen virtually untouched, I suppose.

I definitely agree with Brangwayna about the portion sizes...it *is* an indulgence to present the populace with so much bounty, but I noticed that a lot of them stuff themselves with the bread and appetizers instead of 'pacing' themselves throughout the entire feast.  I can certainly understand that after a long day playing in the sun, a lot of them are really hungry and the feasthall has the wonderful aromas coming out of the kitchen.

Duriel

Tom Vincent
Republican agenda: Crush the middle class into poverty, rape the environment, enrich corporations, restore slavery, install a theocratic dictatorship. Fight back!