[Sca-cooks] Moghul Food

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jun 8 17:03:52 PDT 2006

In an earlier message, you wrote:

>Not 'Mongol'...'Moghul'.  Persia/Afghanistan/India.  Lots of
>cookbooks from there.

Either you were proposing modern cookbooks, of which there are indeed
lots, or you were saying that there were lots of period cookbooks
from there. Since there aren't--the total, so far as I know, is one
period Indian cookbook, a few other Indian things with scraps of
information, and recipes in non-Persian period Islamic cookbooks that
may  be Persian recipes--it seemed natural to assume that you were
proposing modern cookbooks.

Weren't you? If you have references to lots of period cookbooks from
Persia/Afghanistan/India several of us would be very interested.

>  If someone wants to find out about a culture, it is often advisable
>to start with the modern equivalent and work backward.

Which sounds as though you were suggesting modern cookbooks--the
statement you just described as a lie.

I can see that modern Indian cookbooks might be useful in
interpreting ambiguities in peiod ones, but how does one "work
backwards" from modern cookbooks without having period cookbooks to
do it with?

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com