[Sca-cooks] Garbage

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 9 16:42:05 PDT 2006

We didn't eat organ meat at home, other than the occasional Jewish
chopped chicken liver, which was ok - maybe even good - but i was
just never a fan. However, i always keep trying foods, even those i
don't like, just in case i discover a way that makes them taste good
(well, except kidneys, which i have tried and have no wish to try
again)

So when i was travelling in Germany in the summer of 1973, at some
nice restaurant somewhere (probably in Bavaria) i order (i'm gonna
spell this wrong, i'm sure) lebensauer. It seemed similar to
sauerbraten in terms of ingredients, but made with liver, not beef.
And it was scrum-diddly-umtious.

The first time i ever cooked brains (and from scratch, too, which
takes several stages) was when i was a vegetarian living with a
Hungarian astronomer. I eventually ate them some years later when i
was no longer a vegetarian. They were good, and i'd eat them again,
but, well, i don't trust that US cattle are truly BSE free, so i'm
avoiding eating brains these days.

Sweetbreads (actually pancreas) are pretty tasty, too.

Part of the thing about organ meats is texture - rather hard (like
heart and kidneys) or really soft (like brains, pancreas, and liver),
or kinda rubbery (like gristle and tripe). I've never liked tripe,
either, but i keep trying - i've had them in the styles of the
cuisines of Mexico, France, Peru, and Thailand - just to make sure it
wasn't a mental block. It isn't.

But anyway, i haven't looked for recipes for lebensauer, but it would
be nice if anyone knows of one...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita