[Sca-cooks] peacocks

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 12 05:03:09 PDT 2006

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Several weeks ago, Adele de Maisieres commented:
> <<< SilverR0se at aol.com wrote:
>  > The only truly edible part of the feast was a roast turkey, decorated
>  > with peacock feathers, which only the high board got to eat.
>
> Oh, do not get me starter on this practice! >>>
>
> Why? Although they used a different faux peacock than a turkey, there
> is period commentary about doing this. Apparently they weren't as
> enthused about the taste of peacock as they were with it's colorful
> plumage.
>
> Stefan

I think the problem is more with the practice of providing food, etc.,
for high table that isn't provided for folks at the other tables.  While
this is actually a practice, it doesn't go down well with folks in the
SCA.  And that would be especially true if the rest of the feast wasn't
very good!

Kiri