[Sca-cooks] Recipe and menu ideas wanted

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Fri Jun 16 08:13:03 PDT 2006

I have a great recipe for crab meat...but it isn't period but
maybe you can use the idea for #2. You ~have~ to trust me on
this...it doesn't sound good but I grew up eating this and it is a
family favorite. No idea where the recipe came from but I think it
is Cuban origination.

Take a bottle of spicy-ish BBQ sauce and a jar of spaghetti sauce.
Mix the two together to get a spicy combination adjusted to taste.
I usually do a 1:1 ratio at first then adjust with Louisiana Red
or something similar. It should be a spicy tomato sauce at the
end. Traditionally, we would steam/cook cut up crabs in the sauce
then layer the table with newspapers. Cook a batch of spaghetti
noodles and serve the noodles with the sauce on top and garlic
bread on the side. Then spend the next couple of hours sitting on
the porch and drinking beer while you pick the meat out of the
crabs. Nowadays, we just buy lump crab meat and add it to the
sauce instead of steaming the whole crabs in the sauce. Depending
on whether you can get affordable crab meat, this is easy to eat
for those who can't chew well...except maybe the spaghetti noodles
will have to be cut shorter.

Ysabeau