[Sca-cooks] period crab recipes

Craig Jones drakey at internode.on.net
Sun Jun 18 17:18:03 PDT 2006

> According to a couple of sources, it is common to serve
> Blue Swimmers on  their own carapaces and I've seen no
> references to softshell recipes from  Oz.  I suspect that
> the local fishing regs may limit the possibility of
> softshell, but I haven't gone looking to verify that
> suspicion (hey, Drakey,  what about softshell crab down
> under), nor to I have a thorough reference on  the
> biological cycles of Blue Swimmers (maybe they have a
> shorter hardening  time).

Nope... Never seen softshell crabs here. I dont know if it's
illegal to take them here - I do know we have crabbing
seasons, bag limits, and size limits, and no crabs with roe.
 Ceduna, a few hundred kms west of me on the Great
Australian Bight, has a great crabbing tradition...

I've never seen them for sale in the markets or in eating
establishments...

Aussies tend to boil the crabs and them eat em out of the
shell, using whatever we can find to help crack them
(Hammer, pliers, little brothers forehead (long story...)).

Drakey.