[Sca-cooks] Olla Podrida

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 18 21:39:29 PDT 2006

Adamantius commented:
<<< Later than the 15th century, there are English recipes for olla
podrida, which some English cooks felt called upon to be able to
prepare, either for reasons fashion-related, diplomatic, or to
appease in-laws (which I guess is the same thing). I STR Gervase
Markham including a recipe that has a decidedly English slant on the
ingredients, but still, nominally, olla podrida.

I think Robin Argylle and I perpetrated this at an event a few years
ago which featured an SCA wedding of two locals with Spanish and
English personae.

As I recall, the dish is pretty modular: you start a pot boiling and
add things in order of how long they take to cook, then remove the
meats and serve them separately, possibly with a green sauce, and the
rest as a soup.

You could make an almost identical vegetarian soup for non-meat-
eaters, possibly augmented with a more substantial vegetable dish on
the side, and create the illusion everybody is eating more or less
out of the same pot. >>>

Some more info and recipe(s?) for this dish:
hollopotrida-msg  (28K)  1/23/05    Period holopotrida recipes. Stews
with a
                                        very wide variety of
ingredients.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/hollapotrida-msg.html