[Sca-cooks] Treating burns- was Re: kitchen accidents

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 22 08:14:44 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----

On Jun 22, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Saint Phlip wrote:

> The idea of using cold water for a burn is to stop the initial
> burning. Like a roast, the body politic keeps burning until the temp
> is neutralized. Ice water is ideal, initially, because it stops the
> burn FAST, but anything fairly cool will help.

Making first aide relevant to our craft . . . .

Remember that a "burn injury" is simply the early cooking stages of live
flesh.  Hot metal touching flesh is a cooking method.  If you want to heal
the burn, 1st step is stopping the "cooking" damage.  With food products, a
cold or ice water plunge is the ticket . . . same works for live flesh.
After the initial cooling though, the treatment for a burn injury diverges
slightly from the techniques for preparing cooked food.

niccolo difrancesco