[Sca-cooks] The Perfumer and the Cook

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Sun Jun 25 20:40:52 PDT 2006

http://www.stiltoncheese.com/news.cfm?page_id=1317
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/4761989.stm

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/2006/05/eau_de_stilton.html

May 12, 2006
Perfume News: Eau de Stilton

BBC reports that the Stilton Cheese Makers Association (SCMA) has
launched Eau de Stilton, a perfume that the SCMA hopes would encourage
people to eat more stilton. As one of the SCMA representatives, Nigel
White noted, "The perfume has a very earthy, musky, herby type of
background which is very different to the very sweet perfumes you smell
wafting down the street as someone walks past you." "Blue Stilton
cheese has a very distinctive mellow aroma and our perfumier was able
to capture the key essence of that scent and recreate it in what is an
unusual but highly wearable perfume that we are very proud to put our
name to. "
For the time being, the fragrance is available in sample form from the
SCMA, however, if it is to prove commercially successful, the mass
distribution is planned. More information on the creation of the
perfume is available from the Stilton Cheese Makers Association, which
also lists the notes for the perfume as including yarrow, angelica
seed, clary Sage and valerian. The samples can be obtained by emailing
stilton at brazenpr.com. Thanks to Paru for the link.
To my knowledge, this is the first time that cheese has served as a
direct inspiration for a perfume, although a clever Canadian Gouda
cheese ad has often been construed as advertising a fragrance. It is
rather amusing, and I encourage you to take a look.