[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian Indian Protein

Katherine Throckmorton kthrockmorton at lycos.com
Fri Jun 2 10:41:16 PDT 2006

  My main issue is that I need a protein-ish addition for India.

  India

  Garam Masala Spice Blend (kids will use mortar & pestle to grind and
  mix this to take home)

  Coconut Chutney (Uses a pinch of the spice blend they make)

  Nan?

   If you are interested in something period, I would reccomend any of
  the veg dishes that involve daal from the Ain-i-Akbari which can be
  found here:

  http://persian.packhum.org/persian/pf?file=00702051&ct=49

  For modern (but tasty) receipe, assuming that the little darlings can
  have eggs I'd suggest Gudlu Chinigapappu (Egg curry with Bengal Gram)

  6 eggs

  1/2 cup Bengal gram (chana dal)

  1tbsp oil/ghee

  2 onions (finely sliced)

  pinch of tumeric

  1/2 tsp ground ginger

  1tsp garlic (or 2 tsp garlic-ginger paste)

  1 tsp coriander powder

  Chili powder to taste

  Tomatoes (chopped)

  Salt to taste

  1 bunch cilantro

  Hard boil eggs.  Boil Bengal gram in 2 cups water until soft, mash
  well.  Heat oil, fry onions and add spices.  Fry well.  Add dal to
  fried ingredients mix well and cook.  Ad chopped tomatoes, simmer
  till well cooked.  Add salt to taste.  Pour in two cups water and
  cook on low heat for 3 minutes.  Add peeled hard boiled eggs, sliced
  in half length-wise.  Sprinkle chopped cilantro and cook one
  additional minute.

  Serve over rice.

  Most kids in India love this curry.

  If eggs are not an option, I'd suggest a variation of dal, which is
  unlikely to be offensive to anyone.

  http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/544/Dal6737.shtml

  has some tasty sounding ones, but gooling "Dal recipie" will come up
  with a bunch more.

  Or you could make Dal Baat in the fashion of the British Raj

  2 cup water

  1 cup lentils

  dash of salt

  boil until soft, mash and serve over rice.