[Sca-cooks] Food for Events

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Jun 3 11:10:53 PDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Shane <shane_beal at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "What sorts of things do you and your family like? A carefully packed
> cooler
> and a dry goods basket can have you eating at events as well as you eat at
> home."
>
> Thank you for all your help. Almost everything that we eat at home would
> not keep well or would require heating. It is just me and my 2 children so I
> am trying to keep from having to cook and clean up much in order to be able
> to enjoy the event. The boil in bag idea is nice and would keep cleanup to a
> min. Also I think the cheese, fruit, and bread would work well.
>

> Shane Beal
> Eadric Wynnflaed of Falcon Cree

OK, now that I have a better idea of what you're dealing with...

Paper plates are your friend ;-). If they're actually paper, and not some
version of plastic, no one will object if they go in the campfire (supposing
you're in an area that allows campfires). Either the good, heavy Chinet
plates and bowls, or you can get those wicker plate holders, work.

Mess kit knife/fork/spoon combos are great, and cheap at WalMart. Some
places you can even get them in heavy plastic in colors, so everyone has
their own- no arguing.

Check out the fruit cups and dessert cups they have available for lunch
pails. Even if they're something you'd prefer your kids don't eat usually,
you can have them as "special" treats, only for events ;-)

There's also all kinds of non-refrigerated meals available, and more types
become available every day.

Suggest you go to the biggest grocery store around, even if you hafta go to
a nearby town, and just go up and down the aisles, doing possibility
thinking. When you're shopping for what you usually get, too often you don't
see all kinds of other things that are there. Just get someone else to watch
the kids for a while, and go looking. Suspect you might discover all kinds
of things you'd like to try, that you never knew were there, and would be
perfect for taking to events ;-)

--
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"