[Sca-cooks] Modrn vs. Medieval RE: OOP: Frozen sauces

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 4 12:16:58 PDT 2006

Don't be fooled.  Tomatoes hold a fair amount of pectin.  When we blend our
pizza sauce at the shop, the garlic reacts and sets up the pecton in the
crushed tomatoes and sets up a pretty gelatinous goo in a day or so in the
cooler (not like jell-o, but thickened nicely past the original gravity).  I
didn't realize that was the cause until reading a description in an industry
magazine.

Given the original, the sweet/sour is certianly understandable.  I would
tend personally to lean on the spicing to highlight one or more characters
of the berries in hand . . . variation between crops and plants within a
crop and all.