[Sca-cooks] Bells and their Casting was Cast Iron pots??

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jun 4 12:53:51 PDT 2006

On Jun 4, 2006, at 3:16 PM, grizly wrote:

> I'm curious to ask what is this "EB printed relatively close in
> time to its
> casting"

An 18th century edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica? I believe it
is that old, at least.

> and why does it holds more value describing the bell alloy than the
> actual metellurgical analysis done on the actual metal samples from
> the
> Liberty Bell.  Definitely not a homogenous alloy according to their
> findings, but that does seem to offer a pretty solid description of
> the bell
> metal composition that would be more sustainable than a reference
> entry on
> general composition of alloy?  I am just missing something with the
> EB here.

I think the question addressed is not what the EB (whatever it may
actually be) thinks the Liberty Bell is, but rather what "standard
bell-metal" tends to be.

My question  is whether this alloy is merely non-standard bronze,
bronze with impurities in its tin content, or actual brass, according
to whatever "recipe" may be out there.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04