[Sca-cooks] After-action dinner report

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 20:45:28 PDT 2006

'Lainie asked:

<<<
Nope- I'm certain that it was the rosewater. Here's the recipe, from the
'Good Housewife's Jewell':

 >  To boile a Capon with Orenges and Lemmons
 >
 > Take Orenges or Lemmons pilled, and cutte them the long way, and if
 > you
 > can keepe your cloves whole and put them into your best broth of
 > Mutton or
 > Capon with prunes or currants and three or fowre dates, and when
these
 > have beene well sodden put whole pepper great mace, a good piece of
 > suger,
 > some rose water, and eyther white or claret Wine, and let al these
 > seeth
 > together a while, and so serve it upon soppes with your capon.

 >> I did have a question about the instructions though.
 >> There is
 >> a line that says: "then grate two kinds of cheese, that is one mild
 >> and one
 >> medium, and then put eggs with it, yolk and white, and grate them
 >> in with
 >> the cheese". I was a bit perplexed at the 'grating' of the eggs. I
 >> put the
 >> eggs in raw and mixed them, but I can see how it might be read as
 >> grating
 >> in boiled eggs. But that sort of doesn't make sense, so grate
 >> boiled eggs
 >> into a pie. Does anyone have ideas?

Maybe this is what you are talking about when you say "boiled eggs",
but why wouldn't grated hardboiled eggs be what is being requested in
this recipe? Today they are used in salads and elsewhere. And I can
see grating hardboiled eggs along with cheese.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com