[Sca-cooks] After-action dinner report

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Jun 4 22:59:02 PDT 2006

At 08:45 PM 6/4/2006, you wrote:

>  >> I did have a question about the instructions though.
>  >> There is
>  >> a line that says: "then grate two kinds of cheese, that is one mild
>  >> and one
>  >> medium, and then put eggs with it, yolk and white, and grate them
>  >> in with
>  >> the cheese". I was a bit perplexed at the 'grating' of the eggs. I
>  >> put the
>  >> eggs in raw and mixed them, but I can see how it might be read as
>  >> grating
>  >> in boiled eggs. But that sort of doesn't make sense, so grate
>  >> boiled eggs
>  >> into a pie. Does anyone have ideas?
>  >>>

>Maybe this is what you are talking about when you say "boiled eggs",
>but why wouldn't grated hardboiled eggs be what is being requested in
>this recipe? Today they are used in salads and elsewhere. And I can
>see grating hardboiled eggs along with cheese.
>
>Stefan

Well, the recipe says nothing about the eggs being boiled, fried, poached,
scrambled, or cooked on the sidewalk. And the grammar of the quoted section
is murky. To my eye, it is unclear as to whether the eggs are grated, or
simply mixed in while grating the cheese.

Just reading the recipe, it 'looks like' a quiche-like object. And when
eggs are added to a quiche, they are raw. There would be a significant
difference (I think) in how the recipe turned out if the eggs were cooked
and grated before adding them to the cheese and greens mixture.

So am I just reading it weird? Or is there some other dish someone knows of
that is made with an addition of grated, cooked eggs to the filling?

'Lainie