[Sca-cooks] Jumbo Shrimp in Caramel Pepper-Garlic Sauce

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 7 23:44:29 PDT 2006

Brangwayna said:
<<< tom.vincent at yahoo.com writes:
<<We had wonderfully large shrimp on skewers at Alles Faire, but  the
only sauce was malt vinegar.>>

That's because in the original "Shrympes" recipe the cook was using,
it  very
clearly states "and no sauce but vinegar".  And darn it, I can't
find  the
original right now, but I've used it for a mundane demo food :-) >>>

I believe this is the recipe which you are thinking of:
===
 From Harleian MS. 4016 (c. 1450) (1)

"Shrympes. Take Shrympes, and seth hem in water and a litull salt,
and lete hem boile ones or a litull more. And serue hem for the
colde: and no maner sauce but vinegre."
===

See this article in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium for the
full redaction and more details:
Shrympes-art      (16K) 10/11/01    "Shrympes" by Lady Constance de
Larose.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/Shrympes-art.html

Stefan
--------