[Sca-cooks] Moghul Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 9 00:03:52 PDT 2006

Urtatim posted:

Related, but tangential... when Ibn Battuta visited with Turkic
people in the 14th century, they eschewed sweet dishes. By the 16th
century, with the rise to power of the Ottomans, the Turks in
Istanbul had developed an enormous sweet tooth. And that's in less
than 200 years!

According to Yerasimos who translated those 15th c. Ottoman recipes,
the Ottomans didn't adopt tomatoes and bell peppers until the 18th
century, and yet they are such an integral part of modern Turkish
cuisine.

So how could Persian cuisine stay the same until the 21st century,
especially when there were in the midst of so many trade routes and
and so many wars?

Thank you, thank you for posting these specific examples. This kind
of comment about the food not changing comes up periodically on many
foreign, ethnic cuisines. I definitely don't have the expertise to
come up with examples to disprove those comments. Now, at least, I
have some info to point to, since eventually there will be a Moghul-
msg file, or some such, in the Florilegium. I've also saved this
message for the fd-Persia-msg file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas