[Sca-cooks] Garbage

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 9 05:34:36 PDT 2006

Laura C. Minnick wrote:

>My mom once, when I was 5 or 6, decided to make liver one night. My dad
>hates the stuff, so she tried to disguise it. She made 'Swiss steak' with
>liver instead of her usual round cut. It was awful, truly awful. (But not
>as bad as the famed 'tuna/tater tots/peanut butter/peas' casserole that
>even the cat would not touch.) She put on the game face and ate hers, but
>the rest of us couldn't eat it, and she eventually put it out for the raccoons.
>
>Problem is, it's been... uh, something like 37 years, and Swiss steak
>_still_ tastes like liver to me, no matter what I do, even when I make it
>and I know darn well it isn't liver.
>
>'Lainie

I guess I'm a little weird...I love liver.  My mother, and now my
husband, make the best ever...use calve's liver if possible, then soak
it in milk for about 15 - 20 minutes.  Lightly flour it, then fry it
with either onions or bacon.  I think that the trick is the milk soak
which removes some of the bitterness...and frying it only a few minutes
on each side.  If you cook it too long, it takes on the consistency of
shoe leather.

Kiri