[Sca-cooks] peacocks

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jun 12 17:15:50 PDT 2006

Quoting John Kemker <john at kemker.org>:

> Adele de Maisieres wrote:
> > tom.vincent at yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> >> Is that an education problem or a cultural problem? Historically,
> there were dishes served to the high table that weren't available to the
> other diners.
> >>
> > That's an "everybody paid the same to get into this feast" problem.

> Sometimes it's because there are food likes/dislikes/allergies within
> the Royal Entourage.

My allergy catering is not done on the basis of rank-- it's done on the basis
of whether or not people can eat.  As for likes and dislikes, life is hard.  I
make a good variety of dishes, so only a pathological fussy-pants should be
unable to get enough to eat.

> Sometimes it's because a very special dish was
> done as a showpiece and there wasn't the budget to feed it to everyone.

Yes, well, everyone paying for some people to have a dish is exactly what I
object to.  How exactly the situation arose is beside the point.

> Sometimes it's done simply because it's *period.*

Only if someone sitting at the high table is paying for the whole thing.

> Why get bent out of shape over something trivial like that? I have
> *never* been to a feast where I felt I received less of a value in food
> than I paid for.

*shrug*.  I cannot, in good conscience, cook something for one group of people
and not for all.  If that's "bent out of shape" then call me kinky.

Adele d'M