[Sca-cooks] Spanish recipe question.

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jun 15 05:54:06 PDT 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/14/2006 11:12:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> rcmann4 at earthlink.net writes:
>
> <<As for vegetarian, nothing leaps immediately to mind, but I'll
> be glad
> to look around in my sources.>>
>
> Thank you, this may be just the sort of thing I'm looking for.
> The help on
> the vegetarian is also appreciated, or I may take Master Adamantius'
> suggestion about making a separate version with the same vegetables
> as a veggie  dish.

One way you could do that (if you wanted to) would be to start one
large, and one small, pot of water going (I assume you'd need less of
the vegetable version), add the same vegetables in the same
proportion (to each other, that is), but to the large pot you'd be
adding meat, too.

As a vegetable soup/stew, it's nearly identical to any of several
cocidos, potees, etc., from Spain, Portugal,Italy, and France.

I remember being struck by the flavor of the simple vegetable soup I
had to make at a Provencale restaurant I did my internship in: it was
just vegetables simmered in water with a bit of salt, but their
sweetness and complexity came through, and then when you stirred in a
spoonful of pistou (this is the Southern French equivalent of pesto),
it really took off like a rocket.

Later, when I started experimenting with olla podrida, I found that
some of the recipes called for a near-puree of fresh, chopped, green
herbs stirred in at the end, just before serving, to give the broth a
greenish tinge, greater richness, and of course, an amazing flavor
and aroma.

I guess what I'm saying is that, having had a frame of reference, I
was able to do that chopped-herb step properly and effectively,
because all too often people just add a little parsley and think it's
just there to give the dish a different look, and nothing could be
further from the truth.

Adamantius