[Sca-cooks] Reindeer was Air Mattress (was Pennsic Pity Party)

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jun 18 08:31:17 PDT 2006

Was written:

Hmm, I just checked and today the problem is minor (2004 68 reindeer
out of 52407 butchered was destroyed due to excess cesium). During the
first years post-Chernobyl thousands of reindeer was destroyed, but
during the last 10 years comparably few has contained too much cesium.

How are safe levels in meat established?  Does cesium concentrate in
specific organs or the bones? In Scandinavia I would think that the problem
would have affected the Sami (the Lapps?) the most severely in that IIRC
they are the most associated with the herding of reindeer.

Daniel