[Sca-cooks] period crab recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 18 08:45:04 PDT 2006

The Blue Swimmer Crab (Portunis pelagicus) and the Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab
(Callinectes sapidus) are both members of the Portunidae (swimming crab
family).  They should be very similar culinarily, although there might be
subtle differences in texture or flavor.  The chief difference appears to be
that the Blue Swimmer is served as a hardshell crab, while the Chesapeake
Blue is most often served as softshell.

The Chesapeake Blue has a period of 2 to 3 days after molting before its
carapace hardens.  "Softshell" is a reference to this unhardened carapace.
I don't know if the Blue Swimmer has a similar softshell period.

Bear