[Sca-cooks] period crab recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jun 18 09:14:41 PDT 2006

On Jun 18, 2006, at 11:45 AM, Terry Decker wrote:

> The chief difference appears to be
> that the Blue Swimmer is served as a hardshell crab, while the
> Chesapeake
> Blue is most often served as softshell.

Have you got any more info on this? It seems to me that the softshell
season is relatively short, and possibly no more than 25% of the
overall crabbing season. That, combined with the availability of lump
and/or backfin crabmeat from blue crabs, plus the popularity of
hardshell forms for steaming and in various Asian cuisines, makes me
wonder if this is a conclusion that is easier to draw in Oklahoma
than in Maryland or other MidAtlantic states.

Softshells _do_ travel pretty well, suitably packed...

Adamantius