[Sca-cooks] Cuisine Based on Bugs

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:13:20 PDT 2006

I am just now in a meeting in Barcelona, visited today their biggest
marked and among hundreds of stalls selling fish, shellfish, innards,
cheeses, bread and fruits, we found a little anonymous stall selling
all kind of bugs, grasshoppers, ants, watercoakraches (urrgh!!),
mescal worms, every imaginable insects was sold there :)'
They had loolipops with scorpions in caramel, jelly of worms and cheese.
It's possible to buy from the net, www.boletspetras.com
Ana

On 6/23/06, King's Taste Productions <kingstaste at comcast.net> wrote:
> Found in an original post from Saint Phlip:
> "In Northeast Thailand, a Cuisine Based on Bugs"
> http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/06/22/travel/22webletter.html?ex=1151208
> 000&en=db8349c6e56ea0cb&ei=5087%0A
>

> >From that article:
>
> "The creatures that haven't already been skewered and grilled or
> deep-fried lie in semiconscious states on banana leaves or in bowls and
> bags. These still-wriggling results of last night's catch might upset
> those of us who don't cull our food from nearby trees, rivers and rice
> paddies, but their intermittent signs of life reassure potential
> purchasers that no pesticides were used in the capture."
>

> Thanks, Phlip.  I think I just acquired some purchasing specifications I
> had really never considered nor thought I'd need.  But you never know.
>

> Christianna
> now wondering about the finer points of insect selection...

"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' a part
limited in time and space.  He experiences himself, his thoughts and
feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical
delusion of his consciousness.  This delusion is a kind of prison for
us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few
persons nearest to us.  Our task must be to free ourselves from this
prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living
creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.  Nobody is able to
achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in
itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."
-- Albert Einstein