[Sca-cooks] Martha Washington's Cookbook was Lucayos cookbook

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 28 10:46:22 PDT 2006

IIRC, the earliest dateable recipe in the collection is an exact copy of a
recipe published in the reign of Mary I.

Bear

A thought about figuring out which recipes might have been added later.

  Karen Hess's remarks about Martha Custis Washington's cookbook (this is
from memory, mind you) were that the recipes had been copied over by an
unknown person, probably Martha's aunt, as the handwriting style was of the
right time period.  Certainly some of Martha's recipes looked very familiar
to me when I first looked through the book.  Some were very different, using
food names ingredients that Richard II didn't, as an example.

  I don't know where one would go to look at handwriting styles from
different periods of history, though.

  Cordelia Tose