[Sca-cooks] Martha Washington's Cookbook

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 19:55:36 PDT 2006

That's interesting information.  Not that I have any recipes published during Mary I's reign, unless Robert May fits that calendar.

  On the other hand, when I first picked up Hess, some of the recipes seemed very familiar.  I had thought some might be from Richard II, which I do have.  Ah well.

  Cordelia

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
  IIRC, the earliest dateable recipe in the collection is an exact copy of a
recipe published in the reign of Mary I.

Bear

A thought about figuring out which recipes might have been added later.

Karen Hess's remarks about Martha Custis Washington's cookbook (this is
from memory, mind you) were that the recipes had been copied over by an
unknown person, probably Martha's aunt, as the handwriting style was of the
right time period. Certainly some of Martha's recipes looked very familiar
to me when I first looked through the book. Some were very different, using
food names ingredients that Richard II didn't, as an example.

Cordelia Toser