[Sca-cooks] moretum

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 28 16:44:23 PDT 2006

While contact dermatitis from rue, as Cordelia gets, is not typical
of all people, it is definitely a known problem with the plant. if
the rue is cooked, however, it usually no longer causes this problem.

On the other hand, if i had that kind of reaction, i'd be hesitant to
eat rue. It recalls to my mind an experience of some friends of mine,
back in the late 60s or early 70s:

They'd heard that if one drank a tea made of poison ivy, it could
make one resistant to getting contact dermatitis, the common rash,
from it for the season. So the couple made tea of the leaves and
drank it. It is true that Native Americans did this - using the very
young shoots. My friends, however, used mature leaves. Nothing like
contact dermatitis on the inside and around every orifice...

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita