[Sca-cooks] Period French Cookbooks

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jun 29 11:33:00 PDT 2006

My earlier suggestions from June 6 2006 still remain in the archives.
I suggested then-

Le Menagier comes to mind. Several recipes
already out there for that one. Try Googling menagier and recipes
for a selection. (Not all will be appropriate.)
Also check out the list of sources mentioned
here.
http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/cookmat.htm
A number of texts are online or can be interlibrary loaned.

Also check out the illustrations shown here
http://expositions.bnf.fr/fouquet/enimages/expo_us/index.htm
http://expositions.bnf.fr/gastro/enimages/anglais/index.htm
http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/aaccueil.htm
They may give you some ideas.

Johnnae

The relevant question today might be can you read French or do you need all
translated texts. The new edition of The Goodman of Paris is out again.
http://www.boydell.co.uk/43832224.HTM

Johnna

Johnna  wrote on June 29th 2006