[Sca-cooks] Sour plums

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Thu Jun 1 07:18:41 PDT 2006

One of our local ethnic markets has a new-to-me fruit, the sour plum.  It looks like a small granny smith apple(smaller than a lady apple), but has a small stone fruit seed in the center.  One person I talked to says he eats them fresh.  Another says the fruit can be used whenever you want to add some sour taste to a dish.  One person also told me it's a persian fruit.  I haven't been able to find out if it's an unripe plum like verjuice is  from unripe grapes or if it's sour when ripe like a lemon.

Anyone know this fruit?  Is it used in any of the historic middle eastern cooking manuscripts?

Sharon
gordonse at one.net