[Sca-cooks] Metal definitions

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Jun 4 19:17:06 PDT 2006

This afternoon, Margali took us out to an all you can eat lobster buffet (
http://www.custys.com/ ), and now I can actually think again, being
undistracted by anticipation, indulging, or recovering (2 entire lobsters, 6
front halves, and sides), so let me find you some definitions as used in the
modern metal industry:

Please understand, by the way- my primary metal interest is in steel and
iron, and I can bore you to death off the top of my head discussing those
alloys. Copper alloys are a whole new ball game.

>From WordeReference.com:

Bronze: An alloy of copper and tin, and sometimes other elements, also any
copper base alloy containing other elements in place of tin.

     +silicon bronze
           a bronze with 2-3% silicon that is resistant to corrosion.
     +nickel bronze
           a bronze containing up to 30% nickel
     +leaded bronze
           bronze to which 1-4% lead is added
     +beryllium bronze
           a copper base alloy containing beryllium
     +bell metal
           bronze with 3 or 4 parts copper to 1 part tin- used in making
bells
     +alpha bronze
           a copper alloy that can be worked (nb- that means hammered and
shaped instead of just cast-
            Phlip)
     +phosphor bronze
           a corrosion resistant bronze containing phosphorus, used in
bearings and gears
     +gunmetal
           a type of bronze used for parts subject to corrosion or wear
(especially corrosion by sea
           water)

Brass: An alloy of copper and zinc (I'm going to let y'all find your own
definitions on the following

       +red brass; guinea gold
       +ormolu
       +low brass
       +latten
       +high brass
       +gilding metal
       +cartridge brass
       +bearing brass
       +alpha brass
       +alpha-beta brass; Muntz metal; yellow metal

If you look up Bronze in Wikipedia, it gives you a pretty fair amount of
information, with lots of links to related topics, including brass and bell
metal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze

As far as I'm concerned, from a practical level, I'm not interested in
working with brass because it requires casting, and I don't like dealing
with zinc fumes. For similar reasons, I won't work with leaded bronze (not
to mention that it wants to crumble when heated and hammered), but I am
quite happy to work with silicon bronze, since it can be worked OR cast,
and, as it happens, I have quite a supply of silicon bronze pieces of dead
submarine to play with ;-)

But, copper alloys, as I said, are strictly a matter about which I have some
incidental information, although here's a good discussion of copper and its
alloys in our period:

http://www.unr.edu/sb204/geology/middleag.html

- I'm far more interested in matters such as these:

http://www.materialsengineer.com/E-steels.htm
http://www.materialsengineer.com/E-Alloying-Steels.htm

(Just found these websites, to demonstrate my interests to the rest of you,
because I don't have access to my other major informational saves right
now-other computer- and I think they're well worth looking over, so if
you'll excuse me.... ;-))

--
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"