[Sca-cooks] grilled pineapple

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 20:02:00 PDT 2006

Gueni?vre (alias Guenievre de Monmarche):-) asked:
<<< Did you just say you added pineapple to beef stew? Please tell me
this
turned out better than it sounds? as it sounds truly bizarre to me.>>>

I agree. I thought at first maybe she had mis-typed "pinenuts". Using
pineapple would seem to make a rather sweet tasting beef stew to me.
since Phlip is one of those on this list that doesn't seem to have
the taste for sweets that some of us do, I found this further amusing.

<<< (?Course, the only way I really like pineapple is grilled with
cinnamon, ala the local Brazillian steakhouse, so that may be why?) >>>

This sounds good. I assume this is with powdered cinnamon sprinkled
on top of fresh pineapple slices? I'd think that canned pineapple
might be a bit too watery for this. Perhaps some time when I'm
cooking burgers or chicken or steak on the grill, but otherwise it
sounds like a lot of work for a couple of slices of pineapple. I
wonder if this would work under the broiler. Adamantius' idea of
sprinkling brown sugar on top sounds good as well, but pineapple is
already sweet enough (as a diabetic) that I'm going to have to watch
the amount I eat.

Stefan

PS: And for those who might be wondering, pineapple was eaten in
Europe prior to 1600 CE. It was one New World item that was quickly
snatched up. And compared to bananas, they ship easier.
pineapples-msg    (20K)  1/10/03    Pineapples and their introduction
to Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/pineapples-msg.html
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas