[Sca-cooks] 15th C. Ottoman Recipes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 30 14:14:49 PDT 2006

I have finished translating all forty recipes in Stephane Yerasimos's
book "A la table du Grand Turc", and i have begun translating the
introductory and historical essays.

I am disappointed to note that some were from al-Baghdadi after all,
so that means there were not even thirty-eight out of the eighty-two
15th c. Ottoman recipes. On the other hand, at least there are SOME
SCA-period Ottoman recipes, since most of the recipes in "A la
table..." were Chirvani's additions.

Yerasimos was excited to find Chirvani's additional recipes in his
translation of al-Baghdadi, since they are VERY different from modern
Turkish cuisine, and even from 18th C. Ottoman cuisine. In fact, he
frequently notes that more recent Turkish cuisine was, to quote him,
"impoverished" by comparison with the cuisine of the 15th and 16th
centuries. He also notes when the name of a particular dish survives,
although the dish may be completely different from the 15th c.
recipe. And he often notes how a certain popular dish is no longer a
part of the cuisine at all.

Before i post any recipes...
1. one friend suggested i contact the publisher to see if they'd pay
for my translation into English.
2. another friend suggested i contact the publisher to see if they
would give me rights to distribute my translations free for
educational purposes as "fair use". European copyright laws are
rather different from US American laws, and apparently publishers
have been known to be generous when asked and highly legalistic if
they discover one is distributing one's own translations free of
charge without asking them first.

Now, frankly, i don't expect the publisher to offer me any money, but
what the heck. However, if i ask for #1, i am concerned that i may no
longer be eligible for #2.

Does anyone have any experiences with European publishers?

The publisher of this book is Actes Sud, Arles France. It is part of
their "Sindbad" collection, and in the sub-group of food books called
"Orient Gourmand".
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita