[Sca-cooks] medieval steaks

Solveig Throndardottir nostrand at acm.org
Tue Mar 7 20:58:04 PST 2006

Noble Cousin!

Greetings from Solveig!
> Most of the medieval kitchens I saw didn't have a "stove" like we
> think of it. I think it would have been a lot more difficult to
> try to sear a steak in a pan over a fire than to put it on a grill
> to cook. In the convent kitchen I visited, there was a four by
> four area (give or take) in the corner that was set off by raised
> bricks that served for cooking. There were pullies and swing arms
> for getting the food over the fire. I imagined they would keep a
> fire going and scoop coals out to the edges to control the heat.
As I recall, when I was in Germany, I saw a mechanical spit. I really
doubt this business about a mechanized grill. I also doubt that the
establishment has been a restaurant for all of its 400 years. It may
have been an Inn, a Post Station, or an Ale House. But, it is unlikely
to have been a restaurant for 400 years.

									Your Humble Servant
									Solveig Throndardottir
									Amateur Scholar

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.	| Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur  |
| deMoivre Institute		| Carolingia Statis Mentis Est             |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org	| mailto:Solveig at deMoivre.org              |