[Sca-cooks] medieval steaks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Mar 8 08:55:21 PST 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 11:58 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

> Noble Cousin!
>
> Greetings from Solveig!
>> Most of the medieval kitchens I saw didn't have a "stove" like we
>> think of it. I think it would have been a lot more difficult to
>> try to sear a steak in a pan over a fire than to put it on a grill
>> to cook. In the convent kitchen I visited, there was a four by
>> four area (give or take) in the corner that was set off by raised
>> bricks that served for cooking. There were pullies and swing arms
>> for getting the food over the fire. I imagined they would keep a
>> fire going and scoop coals out to the edges to control the heat.
> As I recall, when I was in Germany, I saw a mechanical spit. I
> really doubt this business about a mechanized grill. I also doubt
> that the establishment has been a restaurant for all of its 400
> years. It may have been an Inn, a Post Station, or an Ale House.
> But, it is unlikely to have been a restaurant for 400 years.

It may also be that a source of disagreement lies in one's
interpretation of the word "restaurant", which, when it first entered
common usage in French, involved things like a written menu to
distinguish it from other types of cooked-food shops and eating
houses of various types. For some, however, a restaurant is any place
you can sit and order food, even if the management offers you little
or no choice of food items.

I remember working in a new restaurant in New York in the early 90's,
and being told how revolutionary it was for them to offer only five
entrees...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782