[Sca-cooks] medieval style landscaping and gardens

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 9 22:32:13 PST 2006

Cordelia mentioned:

This spring I am building a retaining wall near my house.  By autumn
I will have room for herbs, etc. Saffron and lovage will be planted,
and I hope a fruit tree or two.  Next Spring a few vegetables.
Eventually there will be 4 retaining walls (32" high at most), and
lots more level ground that will need planting.
<<<

You don't mention whether you wish to incorporate any medieval
touches in your garden/landscaping, but if you do, here are a few of
the gardening files in the PLANTS, HERBS ABD SPICES section of the
Florilegium:
A-Mazng-Herbs-art  (5K)  8/31/01    "A-Mazing-Herbs" by Countess Tessa
                                        of the Gardens, OP.
A-Med-Garden-art  (32K)  7/29/02    "Recreating a Medieval Garden"
                                         by Brianna McBain.
gardens-msg       (23K)  9/16/04    Medieval gardens. flowers.
gardening-bib      (9K)  6/ 3/99    Bibliography on medieval gardening
                                        by Raisya Khorivovna.
Herbs-Sm-Grdn-art (32K) 10/10/01    "Medieval Herbs for the Very
Small Garden"
                                        by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
Pattrn-gardns-art (12K) 10/13/00    "Parterres and the Jardins
Potager in the
                                        Current Middle Ages" by Akim
Yaroslavich.
roses-art         (36K)  5/15/97    "Sacred Iron Posies" by Daniel
del Cavallo.
                                        (medieval roses).

Some of these are likely to be much larger endeavors than you want,
some a bit smaller. However you may be able to find some ideas in
them which you can adopt or modify. For instance, in one of these I
seem to remember info on medieval sod benches which I don't remember
being mentioned much elsewhere.

You mentioned a fruit tree or two. Here is a fairly comprehensive
cataloging of medieval fruit trees, in the FOOD-FRUITS section:
Period-Fruit-art  (60K)  1/13/02    "Fruit of Period Times" by Baron
                                        Akim Yaroslavich.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas