[Sca-cooks] Field Kitchen Addendum

RUTH EARLAND rtannahill at verizon.net
Mon Mar 20 20:00:13 PST 2006

First, let me preface the following with the disclaimer "But not in March."

When you read it, it will make sense.

I like cooking in a field kitchen. (Insert the disclaimer here.) Everything
is a known quantity. You already know you are going to have to bring in your
own fire, your own water, and everything else. You already know what your
challenges are going to be. Mostly, cleanliness, food safety, prep surfaces,
cleanup, heat sources, serving arrangements, and staff. You have to plan for
everything, so you do plan for everything. When I cook Quest, our big
outdoor event with the ultra-primative site, it usually goes more or less
according to plan. When I cooked 12th night, we got to site and found out
that none of the ovens worked. It took most of the day to get half of them
up and running, and we never did manage to get the other half working. We
had to rework the menu onsite.

But then, there's the weather factor. That's where the disclaimer comes in.

Saturday was miserable. It was cold, it was windy. I bet you had a heck of a
job getting anything to heat up in that weather, and I bet you and your
staff were mighty uncomfortable. And cleanup couldn't have been much fun.

Nevertheless, I hear you did an admirable job.

Congratulations, Christopher, on managing something that would have made
lesser men wonder about the feasibility of takeout. As I've been sick with
the flu, I wasn't at your event, but from what I hear, you did good.

Berelinde
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom