[Sca-cooks] Re: Removing fat from stocks before cooling

Pappa Scott bullheaded67 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 10:42:52 PST 2006

Christianna wrote:

  Aha! Yes, I do.  I just taught a one-day Culinary Basics class for
Viking on Saturday.  The notes (which all come from the corporate chef
team) said that if you leave the fat on top of the pot, it prevents the
stock from 'breathing'.  I suspect I reduces the amount of steam that
can escape, which would not allow for deeper flavors to develop.  Once
it is strained, you are reducing, but perhaps not allowing for the
original ingredients to do their thing.
  _________

  I doubt that allowing the stock to breathe would deepen the flavour in any significant way - there is not enough moisture lost through the steam to significantly reduce the amount of liquid.  However, if not properly cooled, stock can quickly sour.  Leaving the fat on would lead to more heat being trapped in the liquid underneath.  I cool my stock in an ice bath before it hits the refrigerator and therefore do not need to worry about the fat on top.  If you are interested in skimming all of the fat, an old trick is to use some ice wrapped in cheesecloth - the cold will cause the fat to adhere to the cheesecloth for removal.  Note you will get some water added into whatever you are removing the fat from with this method but if you work quickly it is not a serious amount.

  Fergus Stout