[Sca-cooks] chocolate 'health' benefits - virtually none, really

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 08:34:18 PST 2006

    Let's go with the titles of each article, for a start:

  Chocolate 'has health benefits'

Is Chocolate Healthy for You?
Yes, If It's Dark

  Chocolate a health food?

  Chocolate Has Sweet Effect On Health  Many people will let the title of an article effect their take on the whole article.

  The BBC article, for example, would have served the public good better, by leading with the final sentence: "The benefits of eating chocolate are likely to be outweighed by the disadvantages as chocolate is high in sugar and fat."

  In comparison, articles discussing the possible health benefits of a glass or two of red wine aren't talking about a product that primarily comes with a few heaping teaspoons of added sugar and butter in it.

  And *some* of the possible health benefits of red wine may be more due to the lifestyle differences between France/Europe & the US (food preparation, stress, etc.) than due to red wine directly.

  Hard to know what's a symptom, what's a result, what's unrelated, and what's a cause!

  Anyway, I love a lot of foods and drinks that should be enjoyed in moderation (at most!) and I don't promote them as anything other than what they are.

  I just wouldn't want anyone to think that chocolate's minimal (at best) potential healthy aspects could possibly mean that it should be anywhere but at the bottom of the list of beneficial foods.

  Duriel

otsisto <otsisto at socket.net> wrote:
  I disagree with your hardliner belief. Dark Chocolate is the one that has
been found to be beneficial for ones health. The milk and white chocolates
are not listed.
It also recommends MODERATION like everything else with ones diet.
A previous email picked on one persons health reference because it was
associated with a Chocolate company. BBC had no connections that I could
see.
Gayot had recommendations at the bottom
LookSmart I found no chocolate company recommendations
The 2 grams was what was used in the study and it's results from that
amount, not recommending people to take that amount.
The 70% in cocoa solids is a recommendation and they explained which
chocolate would most likely have that 70% cocoa solids. The recommend high
end chocolate companies are probably those companies that they feel have
chocolates within the 70% cocoa solid range.
So the 2 grams is chocolate as a whole and the 70% is cocoa solids within
the chocolate.
I do not see how any one of these are misleading.
Lyse

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Tom Vincent

“To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men”

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

“If I am killed, I can die but once; but to live in constant dread of it, is to die over and over again”

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.”

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.”

“My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.”

- Abraham Lincoln