[Sca-cooks] Stuffed cabbages was Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 34, Issue 58

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 21:32:26 PST 2006

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 23:32:05 -0500
From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
	<adamantius.magister at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common
folk

On Mar 24, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Judith L. Smith Adams
wrote:

SNIP
>>   How about cabbage rolls with a filling of sauted
>shallot and
>> onion, minced chicken (veal and chicken would be
>yum, and the veal
snip

>There's actually a late-period or early-post period
>English stuffed
>cabbage dish, which, like some of the French
>versions, involves
>stuffing the whole head.

There is a version in Rumpolt as well (under veggie
dishes, #114) We played with it at Cooks and Bards 2
using a HUGE head of cabbage.  It needed to cook just
a smidge longer, but I seem to recall it being quite
tasty.
I would have to hunt to find my exact notes, but here
is the rough translation:
114. Hollow out the white cabbage/ take vealmeat/ and
put it in a broth
especially the quick [lean?] that has no leg [bone?]/
when it is cooked/ so take it out/
and cool it/ chop it with beef fat and bacon/ pepper
and yellow [saffron] it. Take small raisons
thereunder/ and poached birds/ fill the
cabbage therewith/ and fill [cover] the opening/ that
the filling does not climb out/
pour beef broth/ that is lightly salted/ thereover/
and let it simmer therewith/
so it will be good and welltasting.

In Service (and DROOLING at Master A's descriptions)
Gwen Cat