[Sca-cooks] Cooking corned beef

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 12:09:11 PST 2006

In period, they'd have said "boil," or was it "sethe"?  But modern subset of "boil" is the kinder, gentler "braise," to simmer gently until tender and still juicy.

  That said, I want to try cooking it in red wine - never done that, sounds yummy :-)

  Judith, who just had lunch and is hungry all over again...

Mark Hendershott <crimlaw at jeffnet.org> wrote:
  Referring to my earlier comments about cooking corned beef, and
before someone more knowledgeable calls me on it, "bake" is not the
correct culinary term for the cooking process. 1 cup red wine, 2
cups or so boiling water over the corned beef in a dutch oven, cover
and into the oven. That said, I bet any corned meat in period was
cooked by boiling it.

Simon Sinneghe
Briaroak, Summits, An Tir