[Sca-cooks] Re: Lampascioni

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 29 10:11:09 PST 2006

I found a link here for preserved lampascioni:

http://www.gustiamo.com/cgi-bin/front_end/prodotto?id=182

$27 for a 9.86 ounce jar is a bit ... steep.

There are probably some trace poisonous chemicals in them, that come out in soaking and cooking. There are mentions of a bitter flavor, as well as a distinctive almond aftertaste.

Here is a Puglian recipe for fried lampascioni:

http://www.laterradipuglia.it/ing/lampascionifritti.htm

I'm intrigued by the use of them as a food, because they seem to be a delicacy that grew out of poverty and desperation. The Middle Ages in Puglia were a violent, restive time for the people of the countryside.

Gianotta