[Sca-cooks] Re: "Ehtnic" Foods

wildecelery at aol.com wildecelery at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 06:56:57 PST 2006

Though raised in New England...I do not have a New Englander's "fish palate"
I make fish chowder for Christmas Eve, because it's my husband's family tradition, handed down from old time Maine sea captains. I do love shellfish, which may be a remnant of my parents' time as newlyweds  on the Maryland coast.
Both of my parents are from Pennsylvania, so it's mostly midwestern farm food, with a touch of bilble -belt thrown in.
I learned to talk in Missippi and Alabama, so there's still a touch of the accent in certain words.  My mother says this explaines my love of things like sweet tea, corn dogs, hush puppies, and fried chicken.

My husband's idea of vegetable is those cooked "dutch" style, as his mother calls it...I personally consider it to be something like the texture of a batch of green laundry.

Thus, food in our house is ecclectic, to say the least.

-A