[Sca-cooks] Roysonys of courance

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Mar 2 21:35:43 PST 2006

On Mar 2, 2006, at 9:59 PM, Daniel Phelps wrote:

> Was written:
>
> Seriously, though, we can be pretty certain that a period English
> recipe calling for raisins of Courance is referring to dried grapes
> of the little variety found on some Mediterranean islands like
> Corinth and Zante.
>
> Okay lests we not see what it obvious, i.e. the forest for the trees
>
> roysonys of courance
> raisins of Corinth
>
> Hmmm... raysonys are raisins  could courance be Corinth?
>
> Did this get noted in a previous post that I missed?

I didn't specifically mention it, but I may have been remiss in not
stating something I thought was, if not obvious, at least highly
likely. What I did was to use them fairly interchangeably, though.

FWIW, I found this in Apple's Webster's Dictionary application that
comes bundled with recent versions of OS X (I have an edition of the
OED on disk, but it would require rebooting to get at it):

currant |ˈkərənt; ˈkə-rənt| |ˌkərənt| |ˌkʌr(ə)nt|
noun
1 a small dried fruit made from a seedless variety of grape
originally grown in the eastern Mediterranean region, now widely
produced in California, and much used in cooking : [as adj. ] a
currant bun.
2 a Eurasian shrub that produces small edible black, red, or white
berries. • Genus Ribes, family Grossulariaceae: numerous species,
including black currant and red currant.
• a berry from such a shrub.
ORIGIN Middle English raisons of Corauntz, translating Anglo-Norman
French raisins de Corauntz ‘grapes of Corinth ’ (the original
source).

This doesn't state with much clarity that the etymology of the term
"currant" as it applies to the red and black berries derives from the
little dried Mediterranean grape, but it seems evident that that is
the case. I then have to wonder what the berries were called in
England before the little dried grape was a common import item.

Ah, well, Anne Hagen just became bedtime reading, I guess...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04